Optimising IT Infrastructure – The Key to Scaling Your Business
Optimising your business’ IT infrastructure is essential for ensuring that your organisation isn’t spending more than it needs on IT. It’s no secret that costs are going up across an entire spectrum of business resources and IT is no different.
The key to keeping control of your IT infrastructure spending is optimisation. This allows you to fine-tune your business’s usage and resources to ensure that you’re only paying for what you actually need.
This article covers the ins and outs of IT infrastructure optimisation, and how you can get started and see the benefits right away.
What is Optimised IT Infrastructure?
In a nutshell, ‘IT infrastructure optimisation’ is the process of running your IT systems with the best possible balance of resources and functionality for your organisation. Even more basically put, only investing in what you really need.
This methodology ensures your organisation is adequately resourced to cover the IT load of your organisation — while also ensuring that you’re not allocating resources where they are not required.
There are a variety of ways to optimise your business’ IT infrastructure and allow you take control of IT spending. Three of the key areas are:
- Hardware: Your organisation’s IT hardware should be reviewed and optimised to ensure that it is a) adequate to meet the needs of your organisation while, b) not being excessively expensive.
- Software: Another crucial aspect of optimiasaton is ensuring that your organisation’s software licence allocations aren’t higher than necessary. This includes both the number of licenses paid for, and the capabilities that the licenses grant.
- Networking: Networking combines both hardware and software with, typically, bandwidth and capabilities being the core optimisation points. What is adequate bandwidth? How many routers do you actually need?
Also, remember that your organisation’s IT infrastructure should be consistently reviewed and not seen as a one-off project. This approach will ensure that your business is robust and sustainable, meaning future growth will always be possible – it’s scalable.
Scalability relates to your business’s ability to manage and accommodate increasing workloads, while also remaining financially sustainable. Optimisation of your IT infrastructure is obviously a crucial part of this.
As your organisation grows, scalability will be a huge factor in the capabilities of your business, especially when it comes to taking advantage of new opportunities.
Key Considerations for Optimising IT Infrastructure
While every organisation is unique in terms of its own IT infrastructure, there are some general considerations that need to be made when optimising your organisation —
- Complexity: Optimisation requires fine-tuning your organisation’s IT infrastructure regularly to ensure that the best possible balance is found — this can lead to issues and even system failure if not professionally managed.
- Knowledge: Understanding that your business needs to optimise to save costs is one thing. Working out what needs optimising, and how, requires lots of data analysis to ensure that the right areas of your IT systems are being targeted.
When approaching IT infrastructure optimisation, it is much better to team up with a trusted partner that will be able to help you ensure everything is done correctly.
Best Practices for IT Infrastructure Optimisation
Getting started is often the most difficult part so here are three steps that break down the process for optimising your organisation’s IT infrastructure.
Auditing your organisation is the first key step and will help you work out the desired results of your optimisation. During this phase, for each area, ask yourself why optimisation is required and consider any negative impact it may have. This will help make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons.
As with most things, planning is a key step in ensuring that the whole process is going to be correctly undertaken. A thorough plan ensures every step of the process has been precisely evaluated and considered and will avoid the risk of your organisation falling into chaos.
Implementation is the final step — putting the plan into action. Be prepared to adjust your infrastructure until you find the right balance between resource allocation and requirement.
How We Can Help
By managing costs and enabling scalability within your business, you’ll be able to ensure that your organisation has an optimised IT infrastructure, allowing you to allocate IT resources to the parts of your organisation that need them.
If you’re looking into IT infrastructure optimisation, and need a helping hand, reach out to us today. We perform free IT Audits as part of our service and you can get in touch now to see how we can help.